ghc does not tolerate rsync between different machines

Joerg van den Hoff j.van_den_hoff at fzd.de
Mon Jul 16 08:25:46 PDT 2007

hi,

I ran into the following problem:

I routinely do a complete "rsync --delete" of the `/opt/local' branch
from a G5 PPC to a G4 PPC powerbook in order to have available the
macports software there, too. this worked perfectly up to now.

but when I now installed ghc-6.6.1 on the G5 PPC and rsynced
to the G4, `ghci' did not start on the G4 and instead I got the error
message:

#------------------------------------------------------
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libgmp.3.dylib
  Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/ghc-6.6.1/ghc-6.6.1
  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/opt/local/lib/libgmp.3.dylib: incompatible cpu-subtype
Trace/BPT trap

does this mean that due to the "incompatible cpu-subtype" I need to
recompile ghc from scratch for the G4?  I would rather not (it took 3
hours on the G5...).  no way around this?

regards,

joerg