Upgrading from 10.3 to 10.4

Malcolm Fitzgerald mfitzgerald at pacific.net.au
Tue Jul 17 19:04:28 PDT 2007

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:40:56 -0500
Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2007, at 19:30, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:
>
> > I've just upgraded to 10.4. At this point everything seems to be
> > running smoothly in X11. Is there anything that I should be or
> > could be
> > doing in MacPorts to facilitate this upgrade?
>
> Many ports define sections that only take effect on 10.3, or only on
> 10.4, and so on. Look through the output of "port installed" and see
> if any of them include "+darwin_7" (Mac OS X 10.3.x is based on
> Darwin 7.) If so, I think it would be safer to rebuild those ports at
> least now that you have 10.4 (a.k.a. Darwin 8).

[coco:~] creator% sudo port installed | egrep 'darwin_7'
  bzip2 @1.0.4_1+darwin_7 (active)
  cups-headers @1.1.15_1+darwin_7 (active)
  gconf @2.18.0.1_0+darwin_7 (active)
  gnome-vfs @2.18.1_0+darwin_7 (active)
  gsl @1.9_0+darwin_7 (active)
  libiconv @1.11_4+darwin_7 (active)
  libsdl @1.2.11_0+darwin_7 (active)
  openmotif @2.3.0-20060106_0+darwin_7 (active)
  orbit2 @2.14.7_0+darwin_7 (active)
  popt @1.10.4_3+darwin_7 (active)
  py-gtk2 @2.10.4_0+darwin_7 (active)
  qt3 @3.3.8_0+darwin_7 (active)
  subversion @1.4.3_1+darwin_7 (active)

> Though, you're also now using a different Xcode. Under 10.3 the
> latest Xcode available was 1.5, but now you have access to (and
> should absolutely be using) Xcode 2.4.1. It may be prudent to
> reinstall all ports using this new Xcode. To do so, either determine
> the dependency tree of your installed ports and reinstall them in the
> correct order, or, which may be easier, save the output of "port
> installed" and then move /opt out of the way and completely reinstall
> MacPorts and then all your ports. If you do it this way, do check
> also if you have any port-installed items outside of /opt. Some ports
> do that.

I've installed xcode 2.4.1 but I'm not keen on rebuilding everything at
the moment: I've got work to do! That will have to wait. The OS upgrade
was forced on me because I have to use FMP 9. Fortunately, 10.4 feels
quicker in a lot of ways.