Upgrading from 10.3 to 10.4

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 17 14:40:56 PDT 2007

On Jul 16, 2007, at 19:30, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:

> I've just upgraded to 10.4. At this point everything seems to be
> running smoothly in X11. Is there anything that I should be or
> could be
> doing in MacPorts to facilitate this upgrade?

Many ports define sections that only take effect on 10.3, or only on
10.4, and so on. Look through the output of "port installed" and see
if any of them include "+darwin_7" (Mac OS X 10.3.x is based on
Darwin 7.) If so, I think it would be safer to rebuild those ports at
least now that you have 10.4 (a.k.a. Darwin 8).

Though, you're also now using a different Xcode. Under 10.3 the
latest Xcode available was 1.5, but now you have access to (and
should absolutely be using) Xcode 2.4.1. It may be prudent to
reinstall all ports using this new Xcode. To do so, either determine
the dependency tree of your installed ports and reinstall them in the
correct order, or, which may be easier, save the output of "port
installed" and then move /opt out of the way and completely reinstall
MacPorts and then all your ports. If you do it this way, do check
also if you have any port-installed items outside of /opt. Some ports
do that.