Trouble using macports "port"

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Wed Jul 18 09:10:50 PDT 2007

I'm on a Powerbook G4 with an updated OS 10.x.

I just installed MacPorts today; when I go to try and install gcc, see
what happens:

    root# port install gcc42
    --->  Configuring gmp
    Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
    shell command " cd
    "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_gmp/work/gmp-4.2.1"
    && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --infodir=/opt/local/share/info
    --enable-shared --enable-cxx " returned error 1
    Command output: checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.10.0
    checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.10.0
    checking for gawk... no
    checking for mawk... no
    checking for nawk... no
    checking for awk... awk
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
    checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of
    Makefiles... no
    checking ABI=32
    checking compiler gcc -O2 -force_cpusubtype_ALL
    -I/opt/local/include... no
    checking compiler cc -O2 -force_cpusubtype_ALL
    -I/opt/local/include... no
    configure: error: could not find a working compiler, see config.log
    for details

    Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gmp libiconv
    gperf mpfr

Uh, okay - there is no working compiler, because I was trying to install
it to begin with ;-)

Okay, let's try a selfupdate:

    forrest-aldrichs-powerbook-g4-17:~ root# port selfupdate
    MacPorts base version 1.5 installed
    Downloaded MacPorts base version 1.5
    The MacPorts installation is not outdated and so was not updated
    selfupdate done!

Good. All is well there.  Let's check to see that the info command
returns the correct result:

    forrest-aldrichs-powerbook-g4-17:~ root# port info gcc42
    gcc42 4.2.0, lang/gcc42 (Variants: universal, darwin_8, odcctools)
    http://gcc.gnu.org/

    The GNU compiler collection, including front ends for C, C++,
    Objective-C, Objective-C++, Java and Fortran95.

    Library Dependencies: gmp, mpfr, libiconv
    Platforms: darwin
    Maintainers: mww at macports.org

Looks good.

So, can someone explain what I may have done wrong here.

Thanks,

Forrest