Trouble using macports "port"

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Jul 18 09:14:59 PDT 2007

Forrest Aldrich wrote:
> I'm on a Powerbook G4 with an updated OS 10.x.
>
> I just installed MacPorts today; when I go to try and install gcc, see
> what happens:
>
>    root# port install gcc42
>    --->  Configuring gmp
>    Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
>    shell command " cd
>
> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_gmp/work/gmp-4.2.1"
>
>    && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --infodir=/opt/local/share/info
>    --enable-shared --enable-cxx " returned error 1
>    Command output: checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.10.0
>    checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.10.0
>    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
>    checking whether build environment is sane... yes
>    checking for gawk... no
>    checking for mawk... no
>    checking for nawk... no
>    checking for awk... awk
>    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
>    checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of
>    Makefiles... no
>    checking ABI=32
>    checking compiler gcc -O2 -force_cpusubtype_ALL
>    -I/opt/local/include... no
>    checking compiler cc -O2 -force_cpusubtype_ALL
>    -I/opt/local/include... no
>    configure: error: could not find a working compiler, see config.log
>    for details
>
>    Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gmp libiconv
>    gperf mpfr
>    Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>
> Uh, okay - there is no working compiler, because I was trying to install
> it to begin with ;-)
>
> Okay, let's try a selfupdate:
>
>    forrest-aldrichs-powerbook-g4-17:~ root# port selfupdate
>    MacPorts base version 1.5 installed
>    Downloaded MacPorts base version 1.5
>    The MacPorts installation is not outdated and so was not updated
>    selfupdate done!
>
> Good. All is well there.  Let's check to see that the info command
> returns the correct result:
>

>    forrest-aldrichs-powerbook-g4-17:~ root# port info gcc42
>    gcc42 4.2.0, lang/gcc42 (Variants: universal, darwin_8, odcctools)
>    http://gcc.gnu.org/
>
>    The GNU compiler collection, including front ends for C, C++,
>    Objective-C, Objective-C++, Java and Fortran95.
>
>    Library Dependencies: gmp, mpfr, libiconv
>    Platforms: darwin
>    Maintainers: mww at macports.org
>
> Looks good.
>
> So, can someone explain what I may have done wrong here.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Forrest

You still don't have a working compiler. You need to install Apple's dev
tools to obtain one. "port info gcc42" just provides the information
about the port, it doesn't mean the port is installed.

I know this seems counterintuitive, since MacPorts pretty much builds
all of its own stuff and tries not to depend on anything
Apple-installed, but Apple's gcc is one of the foundational things it
needs to bootstrap itself.

----
Kevin Walzer
PortAuthority: The GUI for MacPorts