portslocation

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Wed Jul 18 13:57:41 PDT 2007

"Denis Bueno" <denbuen at sandia.gov> writes:
>As I understand it, darwinports.com is not to be trusted in general, and
>certainly not in particular with respect to Macports.  (I am willing to be
>corrected; I got that impression from another thread on this mailing
>list.)
>Darwinports.com and macports.org are not affiliated.  So whatever you read
>on there probably has no bearing to your macports installation
>
>If you'd like to see whether the gaim port is available on your system:
>
>    sudo port search gaim
>
>Unfortunately for you, I don't think it is.

Correct, anything not using the name "MacPorts" is not official.
darwinports dot com is someone's attempt to provide 3rd party support, and
it is not accurate.  And a file called portslocation has never existed.
There is a new guide under development here:
http://homepage.mac.com/duling/macports/guide.html to tell you how to
install ports.

Looks like the gaim project has been renamed
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gaim/ to pidgin.  Try installing the
pidgin port.

Mark