Can't compile/Make 1.5.0 on a MacBook (was Re: MacPorts 1.5.0 released)

Chris Pickel sfiera at macports.org
Thu Jul 19 08:01:44 PDT 2007

On 19 Jul, 2007, at 10:05, TjL wrote:
> On Jul 19, 2007, at 9:59 AM, Kevin Walzer wrote:
>>> I assumed that the precompiled versions would not be optimized
>>> for my MacBook, whereas if I compiled my own they would be.
>>> Is this a faulty assumption?
>>
>> The DMG is a universal binary--it should run fine/natively on your
>> MacBook.
>
> That much I knew.  I thought gcc did further optimizations based on
> the specific processor of the machine in which it was compiled on.

Well, there are compiler flags that can be passed to gcc that
instruct it to do processor-specific optimizations, but you wouldn't
have been using any. In any case, although the dmg probably would get
MacPorts installed fine, you would likely run into similar problems
if you tried to 'selfupdate' because this is just what it does behind
the scenes.

Now, I think the problem you're having is that your build type is
coming up as "-apple-darwin8.10.1" when it should be "i686-apple-
darwin8.10.1". This is figured out by config.guess, so a couple of
commands to try (with their output on my system) would be:

% cd MacPorts-1.5.0
% ./config.guess
i686-apple-darwin8.10.1
% uname -a
Darwin sauvagine.local 8.10.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.10.1: Wed May
23 16:33:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.22.5~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386
% machine
i486
% arch
i386