Can't compile/Make 1.5.0 on a MacBook (was Re: MacPorts 1.5.0 released)

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Thu Jul 19 07:17:58 PDT 2007

TjL wrote:

>> The DMG is a universal binary--it should run fine/natively on your
>> MacBook.
>
> That much I knew.  I thought gcc did further optimizations based on the
> specific processor of the machine in which it was compiled on.

gcc isn't magic--it compiles based on whatever instructions are given to
it. If you tell it to compile for a single architecture only, it will do
that. If you tell it to compile as a universal binary and you have the
appropriate libraries/SDK installed, it will do that instead.

> Still, in any event, why doesn't it compile "out of the box" (for those
> who want to)?

I don't know, it worked for me on 10.4.10 Intel. I did things a bit
differently than you--I ran "configure" and then "make" in two steps.
Try that and see if it works.

---

Kevin Walzer
PortAuthority: The GUI for MacPorts