gtksourceview# does not recognize gnome#

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jul 19 23:13:49 PDT 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 23:50, olivier SAINT-EVE wrote:

> here is my problem: I want to install monodevelop, and to do this I
> have to install gtksourceview#.
> But this last one does not recognize gnome#:
>
>    checking for GTK_SHARP... configure: error: Package requirements
> (gnome-sharp-2.0 >= 1.9.3) were not met:
>
>    No package 'gnome-sharp-2.0' found
>
>    Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
>    installed software in a non-standard prefix.
>
>    Alternatively, you may set the environment variables
> GTK_SHARP_CFLAGS
>    and GTK_SHARP_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
>    See the pkg-config man page for more details.
>
> so I reinstalled gnome-sharp and after having entered "./configure"
> I have the following message:
>
>    ---
>    Configuration summary
>
>   * Installation prefix = /opt/local
>   * C# compiler: /opt/local/bin/mcs  -define:GTK_SHARP_2_6 -
> define:GTK_SHARP_2_8             -define:GNOME_SHARP_2_16
>
>   Optional assemblies included in the build:
>
>      * art-sharp.dll: yes
>      * gnomevfs-sharp.dll: yes
>      * gnome-sharp.dll: no
>      * rsvg-sharp.dll: no
>      * gtkhtml-sharp.dll: no
>      * vte-sharp.dll: no
>
>      NOTE: if any of the above say 'no' you may install the
>            corresponding development packages for them, rerun
>            autogen.sh to include them in the build.
>
>    ---
>
> so we can see that gnome-sharp is not installed.(what is confirmed
> if I go to /opt/local/lib/pkgconfig, where there is no gnome-
> sharp-2.0.pc file).
>
> Do you know how I can install this dll?Is there an option of the
> "configure" command I didn't used?

I think there are a couple reasons why you're not getting
satisfactory responses to your emails.

First, you keep sending so many new messages to the list each day,
it's hard to keep track of the conversation. If you have further
information to contribute to an existing topic, don't send a new
message with a new subject, or even a new message with the same
subject; instead, reply to the existing message. This keeps the
thread together both in our mail readers and in the web archives and
makes it easier to follow the discussion. If you haven't yet received
a reply to a message, don't post it again as a new message; reply to
the existing message. Before you do so, read over your previous
message again, and see if there's any additional information you can
provide which will make it easier for us to answer you. If all you
want to say is that you haven't heard a response yet, then be sure to
wait at least 1 full business day from your previous message before
doing so. Give us a chance to think about your message and compose a
response.

I see that this particular message you wrote was addressed to three
other mailing lists in addition to macports-users. Cross-posting
isn't generally a good idea; each list probably has a different
audience and purpose, so you should write separate messages and
tailor them to match each list. For example, you haven't been showing
us any "port install" commands and their output, which is information
that would be very valuable to us, but which other lists probably
won't care about or even know how to interpret.

If you're having trouble installing specific ports, give us this
information. The first thing your should probably do is run the
install command with debug output ("sudo port -dv install portname");
this will show you additional information which may already enable
you to see what the problem is, and if not, it may help us. Also,
tell us the actual port name. I know there's no port called
"gtksourceview#" because "#" is not a valid port name character. If
certain ports aren't compiling, ask the maintainer of the port. If
the port has no maintainer, asking here is fine, but realize that we
are not experts in all software, so you may not get a response.

If you're not using MacPorts to install this software but are rather
installing it by hand, then you may be on the wrong mailing list, and
should instead ask on the mailing list of the particular software
you're trying to install. Or, if there is already a port, try
installing the software with MacPorts instead, and if your encounter
problems, share them with us. If the reason you're doing it by hand
is that there is no MacPorts port yet, then ask the authors of the
software or their mailing list how to install it on Mac OS X, and
once you figure it out, then come back and create a MacPorts port of
the software; this way other users will not have the difficulty
you've had, and will just be able to enjoy the relative simplicity
MacPorts endeavors to offer. If you have trouble doing so, and
reading the documentation and looking at the source of other ports
doesn't help, then come back and I'm sure we can help you make the
portfile.

On Jul 19, 2007, at 18:57, olivier SAINT-EVE wrote:

> - so I went to /opt/local/lib/pkgconfig, and I found gnome-
> vfs-2.0.pc but not gnome-sharp-2.0.pc
> - I copied gnome-sharp-2.0.pc from the directory where I have
> unzipped the sources into /opt/local/lib/pkgconfig,
>   and I saw that gtksourceview# said me he has found gnome-sharp
> ( but there is an error of another file is not found,   what is
> rather normal); the conclusion is that gtksourceview# attemps
> to   find gnome-sharp-2.0.pc, but  does not find it, this is gnome-
> sharp which is not properly installed

MacPorts likes to have complete control of its part of the filesystem
(usually /opt/local). To that end, you should not manually install
any items in the MacPorts prefix, such as manually copying in
pkgconfig files.

If you encounter error messages, it's much more helpful if you will
copy and paste the error message into the email verbatim, rather than
paraphrasing it. It's hard to know how to help you with descriptions
like "there is an error of another file is not found."