Information needed to fix build problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jul 20 14:12:22 PDT 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 17:13, Marv Abe wrote:

>> If you still get the same error... Since it says the directory "/opt/
>> local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/sysutils/
>> clamav" does not exist, how much of that path does exist?
>
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
> sysutils/
> exists
>
> There is some configuration or state file somewhere in the MacPorts
> tree/system/configuration that apparently says that "/opt/
> local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/sysutils/
> clamav" should exist.  That's the key I'm looking for.  The file
> system does
> not have any "clamav" except in the /opt/local/etc directory that
> holds
> clamav's execution configuration files.
>

> Clamav has built on this system for quite a long time until my
> snafu of
> terminating  the fetch and attempts at manual cleanup.

It looks like /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/
release is your ports tree. My guess is that after you had initial
problems installing you tried to clean up manually by removing
everything called "clamav" including the directory in your ports
tree. That should not have been done and is probably what confused
MacPorts. The PortIndex still knew about the existence of that
directory, so when you later asked MacPorts to install clamav again,
it consulted its PortIndex, confirmed that a port called clamav
should exist, and proceeded to look for the portfile in the sysutils/
clamav directory, and barfed when that didn't exist.

On Jul 20, 2007, at 09:42, Marv Abe wrote:

> I think the key to fixing my problem was to use the "-f" with clean.
> Last night after rebooting, I started:
> port -f sync
> port -df clean --all clamav
>
> This AM, I found that the clean did not gripe about clamav's
> directory not
> being found, nor did it gripe about clamav not being installed and
> clean
> appears to have completed as I would have expected.
>
> I had some problems fetching, but I think it was related to our
> proxy server
> at work getting in the way.  After a bit of reconfiguring my NIC, I
> was able
> to successfully install clamav.

The sync will therefore have been what fixed it, because the sync
would have compared your local ports tree with the remote master tree
and downloaded any necessary changes. This would have included
replacing the missing clamav port directory.