Checksum failure with ncbi_tools

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 22 12:04:55 PDT 2007

On Jul 22, 2007, at 13:23, Chris Doucette wrote:

> I've been trying to install ncbi_tools and get a checksum error,
> namely
>
> Error: Checksum (md5) mismatch for ncbi.tar.gz
> Error: Target org.macports.checksum returned: Unable to verify file
> checksums
>
> I've manually downloaded the file by FTP from the source site
> (ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/toolbox/ncbi_tools/) and it downloads and
> expands fine, without corruption, and it apparently hasn't been
> altered in about five years, so I'm assuming there's some problem on
> the macports side rather than it being a corrupted file or a stealth
> update.

You're seeing ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/toolbox/ncbi_tools/
ncbi.tar.gz which hasn't been modified since 2002, true, but it's
only a *symlink* to ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/toolbox/ncbi_tools/
CURRENT/ncbi.tar.gz which was modified 10/15/06. The version of the
port is "20060507" so I'd say the software has indeed been updated
since the port was last changed.

It looks like the maintainer submitted an updated portfile 3 months ago:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/11869

But nobody noticed it. I'll commit it now. Wait 12 hours, do a "sudo
port sync", then try installing ncbi_tools again.

> Is there a way I can force the installer to use the expanded archive I
> downloaded myself and skip the checksum?

Yes, I believe there is a way to do this, but I don't remember it....
Besides, it defeats the reason why we have checksums -- because
someone needs to first test whether the new version can be compiled
in the same way as the old one.