Permissions problem

Eelke Klein eelke.klein at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 02:47:32 PDT 2007

Hello,

I have not used macports for sometime so I tried a selfupdate today but had
permission problems. I tried to fix it by downloading and installing the
latest version from the website but it didn't help. Here is the output for
the selfupdate command:
$sudo port -vd selfupdate
Password:
DEBUG: Rebuilding the MacPorts base system if needed.
DEBUG: Synchronizing ports tree(s)
Synchronizing from rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
DEBUG: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzv --delete-after
rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports
receiving file list ... done

sent 74 bytes  received 271264 bytes  25841.71 bytes/sec
total size is 14810501  speedup is 54.58
DEBUG: MacPorts base dir:
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/base
DEBUG: Setting user: root
MacPorts base version 1.5 installed
DEBUG: Updating using rsync
receiving file list ... done

sent 73 bytes  received 5406 bytes  2191.60 bytes/sec
total size is 3628144  speedup is 662.19
Downloaded MacPorts base version 1.5
The MacPorts installation is not outdated and so was not updated
DEBUG: Setting ownership to root
DEBUG: Couldn't change permissions: couldn't create error file for command:
no such file or directory
    while executing
"macports::selfupdate [array get global_options]"
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Couldn't change permissions:
couldn't create error file for command: no such file or directory

I did recently replace the boot drive and moved the system by making a
bootable backup using silverkeeper. After this I moved the user folders to a
second harddrive. However because I do not use macports very often the
problem could have allready existed before I replaced the drive without me
knowing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Eelke

PS. In case it matters it is a Mac Pro with OS X 10.4.10