Can't use rsync port

miles3 miles-nabble at vividcolor.org
Tue Jul 24 12:37:58 PDT 2007

Ryan Schmidt-24 wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2007, at 18:54, Thomas De Contes wrote:
>
>> miles3 wrote:
>>> How can I configure MacPorts to use some other method [than rsync].
>
> 1. Check out a working copy of the ports tree to some place on your
> hard disk, such as to your home directory:
>
> svn co http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports ~/dports
>
> 2. Edit the file /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf. Comment out
> the line starting with "rsync://" and add a new line pointing to your
> working copy, in URL form, e.g.:
>
> file:///Users/rschmidt/dports

Ryan,

Thanks for the info, it was very helpful and I am now further along in this
process. Unfortunately, the install and quickstart instructions are telling
me to do things that are erroring.

Info:  dports is copied to:  /opt/local/dport

Here is what happens when I try...
   $ sudo port -d selfupdate
  DEBUG: Rebuilding the MacPorts base system if needed.
  DEBUG: Synchronizing ports tree(s)
  Synchronizing from file:///opt/local/dports
  DEBUG: MacPorts base dir:
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/base
  DEBUG: Setting user: root
  MacPorts base version 1.5 installed
  DEBUG: Updating using rsync
  rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed out (60)
  rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at
/SourceCache/rsync/rsync-24/rsync/clientserver.c(94)
  DEBUG: Error: rsync failed in selfupdate
      while executing
  "macports::selfupdate [array get global_options]"
  Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Error: rsync failed in
selfupdate

Clearly self update is using rsync - I guess this just won't work without
rsync?

  $ sudo port search mysql
  Warning: Can't open index file for source: file:///opt/local/dports
  Error: search for portname mysql failed: No index(es) found! Have you
synced your source indexes?

I guess I need to grab more than just the dports repository? Where can I
find out this information?

Thanks for everyone's help

- Miles