Can't use rsync port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 24 01:51:33 PDT 2007

On Jul 23, 2007, at 18:54, Thomas De Contes wrote:

> Le mardi, 24 juil 2007, à 00:59 Europe/Paris, miles3 a écrit :
>
>> I am trying to use MacPorts inside our corporate infrastructure.
>> And IT
>> security is somewhat strict - very few network ports are open, so
>> I can
>> forget about using rsync's port (or SMB or AFP, etc). We do have
>> access to
>> http and ftp ports through the firewall.
>
>> If subversion uses a different port
>> (I don't know) than I probably can't use that either.
>
> subversion can use the http port, or an other (following the svn
> protocol, i suppose, i don't know it)
> it depends of the server
>
> for MacPorts it is the http port :-)
> svn co http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/tags/
> release_1_5_0/base/ macports/
>
>> How can I configure MacPorts to use some other method.

1. Check out a working copy of the ports tree to some place on your
hard disk, such as to your home directory:

svn co http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports ~/dports

2. Edit the file /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf. Comment out
the line starting with "rsync://" and add a new line pointing to your
working copy, in URL form, e.g.:

file:///Users/rschmidt/dports

> on top of that, some ports may want to use rsync instead of http to
> download their sources

I don't think so. Ports can fetch software via a normal curl-
accessible URL (http, https, ftp), or by checking out from a CVS or
Subversion repository, but those are the only options I'm aware of.
Searching portfetch.tcl reveals no occurrences of the string "rsync"
so I don't think there's any way that a port could be fetching
anything via rsync.