Dependency Problem of Upgrading Gnuplot: A Possible Bug

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Jul 24 15:12:05 PDT 2007

On Jul 24, 2007, at 6:02 PM, Xin Liu wrote:
> At least, "install" and "upgrade" should be consistent.

They aren't because they do different things.

> If "install"
> does not install something, "upgrade" should not touch that either;

If you have a solution to the problem (especially a patch) that
doesn't cause other problems, then we would be happy to include it in
macports, I'm sure.

> if
> "upgrade" would touch something, "install" should install that in the
> first place. Otherwise, there's too much confusion, and I don't think
> I'm the only one that is confused.

which is a good reason to not use bin/lib style dependencies.

> As for the policy of "including everything in macports", I don't buy
> it, but it's another story and may be discussed in separate threads.

before you try to re-hash it on the list, perhaps it would be good
for you to go through the list archive and read over one of the many
times in the past where it has been discussed?

--
Daniel J. Luke