Dependency Problem of Upgrading Gnuplot: A Possible Bug

Randall Wood rhwood at mac.com
Tue Jul 24 17:59:19 PDT 2007

Any port that relies on X11 should use bin or lib style dependencies,
as Apple's X11 is different than the XFree86 or X.org X11s and all
three conflict. Clearly, we do not and should not attempt to install
the Apple X11, which, for OS X 10.4 at least, is only available on
the OS DVD.

Maybe we should write the documentation so that use of bin and lib-
style dependencies is only used if there is the possibility that the
dependency can be satisfied by a binary or library that is installed
as part of Apple system or developer software.