Dependency Problem of Upgrading Gnuplot: A Possible Bug

Xin Liu smilerliu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 19:22:07 PDT 2007

On 7/24/07, Randall Wood <rhwood at mac.com> wrote:
> Any port that relies on X11 should use bin or lib style dependencies,
> as Apple's X11 is different than the XFree86 or X.org X11s and all
> three conflict. Clearly, we do not and should not attempt to install
> the Apple X11, which, for OS X 10.4 at least, is only available on
> the OS DVD.

To me this actually demonstrates the necessity for supporting external
dependencies. And is it possible that external tex system be treated
the same as Apple stuff? It's really not a good idea to force users
use teTeX, which has been officially discontinued.

> Maybe we should write the documentation so that use of bin and lib-
> style dependencies is only used if there is the possibility that the
> dependency can be satisfied by a binary or library that is installed
> as part of Apple system or developer software.

I agree. This would make things clear. And a FAQ entry telling average
users that "be prepared to install everything from macports; if
something happens not to be installed, it's just you are lucky" would
be nice.

Best
Regards,

Xin Liu