Dependency Problem of Upgrading Gnuplot: A Possible Bug

Xin Liu smilerliu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 10:31:52 PDT 2007

> > I suggest that "upgrade" do not touch bin/lib style dependencies. What
> > problem does this fix cause? You said that this will cause problem for
> > portfiles that use bin/lib style to refer to internal dependencies,
> > but that's their authors' fault: they should not use bin/lib style
> > this way (and I highly suspect any portfile author will do this).
>
> All bin/lib dependencies include a port at the end that will fulfill
> the dependency.

I'm aware of the syntax.

> If the user doesn't have the external bin/lib, the port gets
> installed by macports.

How about the user has the EXTERNAL bin/lib? Then the port should not
get installed, right?

> In the case of upgrade, macports should indeed manage this installed
> port.

Yes, macports should manage INSTALLED ports. But the port was not
installed at the first place, when the user has the EXTERNAL bin/lib
at "install" time. Why should "upgrade" install something that was
decided to be unnecessary at "install" time?

> There is not syntax for specifying an external dependency without
> including a port that will fulfill it.

The syntax is good.

> > Or
> > is there any concrete example that a portfile has to use bin/lib style
> > for internal dependencies?
>
> all of them?

I mean, is there any concrete example that a portfile cannot use port
style and HAS to use bin/lib style?

Best
Regards,

Xin Liu