BUG: port numpy should depend on python24

Christopher W. MacMinn cmac at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 27 06:51:45 PDT 2007

Mark -

I tried to install the port py-scipy on an Intel Mac last week with
similar results.

>> a lot of dependecies were
>> installed, but python24 wasn't (at least at the time that numpy was
>> built). So I guess that numpy needs a dependency on python24.

>> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: py-numpy
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.

I did not run into problems with the python24 dependency, but I may
have already had it installed.

> now I'm stuck at building scipy itself.

> In scipy-0.5.2/Lib/odr/setup.py, Line 9 method "get_path" is
> imported from some numpy module, but that method doesn't exist there.

I definitely encountered this one too -- after digging around for
awhile and posting to several lists, I filed a bug report in the
MacPorts Trac system (#12331, http://trac.macports.org/projects/
macports/ticket/12331).  I also contacted Erick Tryzelaar, the
maintainer for py-numpy and py-scipy, earlier this week, and he
seemed to be aware of this bug and said that he hoped to have an
update out soon.

> Replacing
>
> from numpy.distutils.misc_util import get_path, Configuration,
> dot_join
>
> by
>
> from numpy.distutils.misc_util import Configuration, dot_join
>
> solves the issue. However, I don't know why it was imported because
> it is not used in Lib/odr/setup.py at all.

I resolved this differently than you did (by replacing it with a call
to get_path_from_frame instead of simply removing it -- see my bug
report above), but the end result seems to be the same for both of us:

> Now, having that fixed, the next error seems to be a linking error.
> Obviously someone forgot to link against the Python Framework /
> libpython2.4.dylib. Linking happens to fail for every Fortran module,
> cluster and io on the other hand are built without error. Could
> someone shed light into this?
>
>> --->  Building py-scipy with target build

>> error: Command "g95 -shared build/temp.macosx-10.3-i386-2.4/build/
>> src.macosx-10.3-i386-2.4/Lib/fftpack/_fftpackmodule.o build/
>> temp.macosx-10.3-i386-2.4/Lib/fftpack/src/zfft.o build/
>> temp.macosx-10.3-i386-2.4/Lib/fftpack/src/drfft.o build/
>> temp.macosx-10.3-i386-2.4/Lib/fftpack/src/zrfft.o build/
>> temp.macosx-10.3-i386-2.4/Lib/fftpack/src/zfftnd.o build/
>> temp.macosx-10.3-i386-2.4/build/src.macosx-10.3-i386-2.4/
>> fortranobject.o -L/opt/local/lib -Lbuild/temp.macosx-10.3-i386-2.4 -
>> ldfftpack -lfftw3 -o build/lib.macosx-10.3-i386-2.4/scipy/fftpack/
>> _fftpack.so" failed with exit status 1

I'm getting this too, and here I am also stuck.  Any leads?  I think
I have exhausted my meager MacPorts skills.  I'll let you know if I
hear anything else from Erick, and please do let me know if you
figure out a fix in the meantime.

Best
- Chris MacMinn