what is an inactive port?

Michael Thon mike012012 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 08:58:53 PDT 2007

Thanks Jyrki - Where do they exist exactly?  They cannot occupy the
same space as the active port.  Are they moved to another directory
tree or placed into a tarball?  I'm just curious how this system
works. Another question is why keep these inactive ports around in
the first place?  Are they useful for something besides backing out
of an upgrade?