libiconv problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 29 15:46:17 PDT 2007

On Jul 28, 2007, at 21:08, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2007, at 6:34 PM, Xin Liu wrote:
>
>> My libiconv version is 1.11_4+darwin_8.
>>
>> When I run iconv, I got the following error:
>>
>> ***
>> cookie:~ lx$ iconv
>> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libintl.3.dylib
>>   Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/iconv
>>   Reason: image not found
>> Trace/BPT trap
>> ***
>
> external dependency problem.
>
> Your libiconv built against a gettext that you had installed into /
> usr/local (which is a default compiler search path) and when you
> removed or changed the gettext in /usr/local, it broke your
> macports installed libiconv.
>
> The libiconv port should probably be modified (if possible) to make
> sure it only builds against the macports-provided gettext.

I'm not sure how to modify the libiconv port to do that, but if
anybody else does, I'd be happy to accept a patch.

I would expect that other ports have problems with items installed
in /usr/locall, so I recommend you do not install anything in /usr/
local. Instead, use MacPorts to install all software.