ftp via proxy does not work, http works well

lutz_mader at freenet.de lutz_mader at freenet.de
Mon Jul 30 09:52:21 PDT 2007

Hi all folks,
sometime I try to fetch packages through a firewall/proxy. Http works well, but ftp does not.
The environment variables http_proxy, https_proxy, ftp_proxy are set to the proxy address.

But all the time I try to fetch via ftp I find the target address (Foreign Address) with netstat,
with http I find the proxy address. The ftp connect hangs until a timeout, after some minutes.

"netstat -a" for a ftp fetch:
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
tcp4       0      0  6.1.159.239.49950      ftp.cerias.purdu.ftp   SYN_SENT

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
tcp4       0      0  6.1.159.239.49942      util9.math.uh.ed.ftp   SYN_SENT

"netstat -a"  for a http fetch:
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
tcp4       0      0  6.1.159.239.49961      webproxy....           ESTABLISHED

"netstat -a" for a ftp connection (manually operated):
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
tcp4       0      0  6.1.159.239.49956      ftpproxy....           ESTABLISHED

Does someone know how MacPorts connect to the ftp proxy, how ftp is called by MacPorts.
Manually I use "ftp ftpproxy" and for the User Prompt I enter "anonymous at ftp.target" and
for the password prompt "my mail address". This works well, with OS X, Linux and WXP.

Any idea what's going wrong?!
Thanks for any help,
Lutz

"Jetzt Handykosten senken mit klarmobil - 14 Ct./Min.! Hier klicken"
http://produkte.shopping.freenet.de/handy_voip_isdn/klarmobil/index.html?pid=730025