libiconv problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 31 20:24:00 PDT 2007

On Jul 31, 2007, at 03:47, Xin Liu wrote:

> On 7/29/07, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Your libiconv built against a gettext that you had installed into /
>>> usr/local (which is a default compiler search path) and when you
>>> removed or changed the gettext in /usr/local, it broke your
>>> macports installed libiconv.
>>>
>>> The libiconv port should probably be modified (if possible) to make
>>> sure it only builds against the macports-provided gettext.
>>
>> I'm not sure how to modify the libiconv port to do that, but if
>> anybody else does, I'd be happy to accept a patch.
>>
>> I would expect that other ports have problems with items installed
>> in /usr/locall, so I recommend you do not install anything in /usr/
>> local. Instead, use MacPorts to install all software.
>
> I'm a little confused by the relationship between libiconv and
> gettext. From the portfile and the configure script of gettext, it
> does depend on libiconv; but libiconv seems to depend on gettext too.
> So what is the correct building sequence? libiconv first, or gettext
> first? What's the difference between these two sequences?

The gettext portfile depends on the libiconv portfile. The libiconv
portfile does not depend on the gettext portfile (since circular
dependencies are not allowed in MacPorts), and includes the configure
argument "--without-libintl-prefix" which I presume is meant to
disable gettext (a.k.a. libintl) support in libiconv. It appears not
to have done that for you, though, and that the correct option to
accomplish that would have been "--disable-nls".

"--without-libintl-prefix" was added to the libiconv portfile in
r21556 allegedly as a result of ticket #11245, though the patch in
that ticket does not include that modification. Takanori, do you
remember why you added this configure argument?