gcc42 fails to build

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Mon Jun 4 01:26:15 PDT 2007

Hi Christoph,

> My attempt to install the gcc42 port failed. The full output of
> 'sudo port -v install gcc42' is available at
> <URL:http://www.cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/~cludwig/
> install_gcc42.log>,
> the last lines with the error message are copied below. Does anyone
> know
> what's going on?
>
> <snip />
>
> /opt/local/i386-apple-darwin8.9.1/bin/ar: ./libgcov.a: Invalid
> operation
> /opt/local/i386-apple-darwin8.9.1/bin/ar: ./libgcc.a: Invalid
> operation
> make[4]: *** [libgcov.a] Error 1
> make[4]: *** [libgcc.a] Error 1
> make[3]: *** [stmp-multilib] Error 2
> make[2]: *** [all-stage1-gcc] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
> make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

If the full output that you provided the link for [1], I noticed the
following line just after the first instance of the text I've quoted
above:

Error: Target com.apple.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/
local/var/db/dports/build/
_opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.macports.org_dpupdate_dport
s_lang_gcc42/work/build" && make bootstrap -j 2 " returned error 2

It seems that you've set the -j flag somewhere to try to speed up
make by getting it to do two operations in parallel, but
unfortunately that's known to break builds if the Makefiles don't
quite specify the dependencies correctly.  Try removing the -j flag
from wherever you've set it and see if that helps.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--
Boey Maun Suang (Boey is my surname)