gcc42 fails to build

Christoph Ludwig ludwig at fh-worms.de
Mon Jun 4 03:02:10 PDT 2007

Hi Maun Suang,

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 06:26:15PM +1000, Boey Maun Suang wrote:
> >My attempt to install the gcc42 port failed. The full output of
> >'sudo port -v install gcc42' is available at
> ><URL:http://www.cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/~cludwig/
> >install_gcc42.log>,
> >the last lines with the error message are copied below. Does anyone
> >know
> >what's going on?
> >
> ><snip />
> >
> >/opt/local/i386-apple-darwin8.9.1/bin/ar: ./libgcov.a: Invalid
> >operation
> >/opt/local/i386-apple-darwin8.9.1/bin/ar: ./libgcc.a: Invalid
> >operation
> >make[4]: *** [libgcov.a] Error 1
> >make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> >make[4]: *** [libgcc.a] Error 1
> >make[3]: *** [stmp-multilib] Error 2
> >make[2]: *** [all-stage1-gcc] Error 2
> >make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
> >make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
>
> If the full output that you provided the link for [1], I noticed the
> following line just after the first instance of the text I've quoted
> above:
>
> Error: Target com.apple.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/
> local/var/db/dports/build/
> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.macports.org_dpupdate_dport
> s_lang_gcc42/work/build" && make bootstrap -j 2 " returned error 2
>
> It seems that you've set the -j flag somewhere to try to speed up
> make by getting it to do two operations in parallel, but
> unfortunately that's known to break builds if the Makefiles don't
> quite specify the dependencies correctly.  Try removing the -j flag
> from wherever you've set it and see if that helps.

the make option '-j 2' is set by the port file, not by me:

  castellio:~/tmp cludwig$ port cat gcc42 | grep '^build.args'
  build.args              -j 2

I therefore cannot unset it, short of modifying the port myself.

BTW, I opened a ticket for this issue (#12065).

Regards

Christoph
--
FH Worms - University of Applied Sciences
Fachbereich Informatik / Telekommunikation