I've hosed my ports install, clean slate install?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 4 18:02:38 PDT 2007

On Jun 4, 2007, at 18:30, David Smoot wrote:

> I migrated from a Powerbook to a Macbook and I let it migrate my
> port install instead of a clean build for the new architecture.  I
> have now hosed my install completely trying to fix it.
>
> What is the proper way to "start from scratch" and rebuild everything?

I did a similar migration recently. The best thing to do is probably
to move all of /opt aside (I moved mine to /opt-ppc) and then just
start over, first installing MacPorts 1.4.0 from the disk image, then
selfupdating it to 1.4.42, and port installing the ports you want.
Then you can move over any configuration files you had changed in /
opt-ppc to /opt. (Check /opt-ppc/local/etc for sure, and other places
specific to your ports -- for example, if you use apache2, check /opt-
ppc/local/apache2/conf. If you use mysql5, check /opt-ppc/local/var/
db/mysql5.) Finally you can delete /opt-ppc when you're sure you got
everything of value out of it. I kept mine around for a couple months
just to be sure, though it did use up a bit of disk space.

You may also have things outside of /opt. This FAQ entry shows you
how to completely remove all of MacPorts (usually); the directories
in the shown command are where the other parts might be located:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
FAQ#HowdoIremoveoruninstallMacPorts