gcc42 fails to build

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Mon Jun 4 19:22:52 PDT 2007

Hi Christoph,

> the make option '-j 2' is set by the port file, not by me:
>
>   castellio:~/tmp cludwig$ port cat gcc42 | grep '^build.args'
>   build.args              -j 2

<slaps forehead />

How silly of me not to check the Portfile; sorry about that.  It
built fine for me on an Intel Core Duo Macbook Pro, and apparently
for others as well, which is why I assumed the problem was elsewhere.

> I therefore cannot unset it, short of modifying the port myself.

One is supposed to be able to set at least some arguments on the
command line like this:

port install gcc42 build.args="-j 1"

If that doesn't work, it actually shouldn't be that painful to edit
the Portfile in your local tree; it should be in ${prefix}/var/db/
dports/sources/rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports/lang/gcc42/
Portfile, in which case you can just delete the build.args line.
Note that it will be overwritten when you next run "port selfupdate"
or "port sync", but it should be fine for testing whether or not
removing the -j flag fixes the problem for you -- provided you have
the time an patience to wait for it to build :-)

Now that I think about it further, there might be something else to
try: without modifying build.args on the commandline or in the port
file, try installing it, wait for it to fail, and then try it again
straight away (make will try to pick up from where it left off).  I
did that when I was mucking around with -j on another port, and that
at least enabled the build to work.  It's not really a solution, but
if it works, it's a workaround that should at least be faster than "-
j 1".

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--