gcc42 fails to build

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Wed Jun 6 05:46:08 PDT 2007

Hi Christoph,

> You can see in the logs that configure decided to use the ´ar´
> installed by
> the binutils port. (The link in /opt/local/bin is named ´gar´ to avoid
> conflicts with Appöe's ar, but the link in
> /opt/local/i386-apple-darwin8.9.1/bin/ is named ´ar´.) Could this
> be the
> cause? Do you have the binutils port installed?

Further to my last email on this, I installed binutils and got
exactly the error you described, then deactivated binutils, cleaned
gcc42 and tried installing gcc42 again, and it worked fine.  See if
you can do a clean install of gcc42 after deactivating binutils.  If
that works, it would be great if you could file a ticket about the
problem (if you do, don't forget to put yourself and the maintainers
of binutils and gcc42 into the Cc: field on the ticket, as the
MacPorts Trac installation doesn't currently forward automatically to
the reporter or assignee).

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--