DocBook 4.1.2 XML Weirdness (gtk-doc install fails)

Baz brian.ewins at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 06:04:06 PDT 2007

On 09/06/07, Boey Maun Suang <boeyms at macports.org> wrote:
> Actually, the problem probably is the catalog; remapping such URLs is
> precisely one of the things it's supposed to do.

You're right; I took a closer look this morning.

> It sounds to me like your docbook-xsl port is out of date.  Could you
> try upgrading it and then installing gtk-doc again?  Hopefully that
> should fix it (unless you have a local catalog somewhere else that
> might be mucking it up).

Tried that already, but did it again to be sure...I messed around a
bit more and it was just this:

XML_CATALOG_FILES=/opt/local/etc/xml/catalog /opt/local/bin/xsltproc
--nonet --xinclude --stringparam gtkdoc.bookname cairo --stringparam
gtkdoc.version 1.8 /opt/local/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.xsl
../cairo-docs.xml

... and I see the default setting (file:///etc/xml/catalog - no
${prefix}) is hardcoded into both libxml2 (catalog.c) and xsltproc
(xsltproc.c), so I needed to set this variable to get those tools
working on macports.

Hrrmrm. Thats pretty annoying. My own problem is fixed but I imagine
this will come up again - I see there's a couple of ports that set
this as part of their build instructions.

So possible solutions:
- tell me to rtfm :)
- I could roll a patch for libxml2, libxslt so that they use ${prefix}
for the default catalog, for macports only
- I could suggest that patch upstream.
- other...?

> Kind regards,
>

> Maun Suang