DocBook 4.1.2 XML Weirdness (gtk-doc install fails)

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Mon Jun 11 06:07:42 PDT 2007

Hi Baz,

> XML_CATALOG_FILES=/opt/local/etc/xml/catalog /opt/local/bin/xsltproc
> --nonet --xinclude --stringparam gtkdoc.bookname cairo --stringparam
> gtkdoc.version 1.8 /opt/local/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.xsl
> ../cairo-docs.xml
>
> ... and I see the default setting (file:///etc/xml/catalog - no
> ${prefix}) is hardcoded into both libxml2 (catalog.c) and xsltproc
> (xsltproc.c), so I needed to set this variable to get those tools
> working on macports.

Ah, yes, I know all about this, and didn't think of it at the time.
Sorry :-)

> So possible solutions:
> - tell me to rtfm :)
> - I could roll a patch for libxml2, libxslt so that they use ${prefix}
> for the default catalog, for macports only
> - I could suggest that patch upstream.
> - other...?

I've discussed this with the maintainer of libxml2 and mailed him a
patch for his consideration a few weeks ago, but unfortunately he
hasn't gotten back to me about it yet.  I've now put a ticket on Trac
so that others can see it [1]; I've only recommended the
substitutions in some of the places that "/etc" appears because the
other instances appear in documentation that seems less system-
specific.  My impression from the libxslt code was that it inherited
the default catalog location from whatever was compiled into the
libxml2 code, but that there are hardcoded references in its
documentation (including the printf in xsltproc.c) that ought to be
changed.

I think you're absolutely right, however, that this is an issue that
ought to be reported upstream.  If you could do that (possibly
improving on my patches), that would be great.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

[1] http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12106

--