GTK2 & Cairo "Quartz" Variant

Baz brian.ewins at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 03:20:27 PDT 2007

On 11/06/07, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> I updated cairo to 1.4.8. I understand some things about Quartz and
> ATSUI have changed again. I don't know if this improves or worsens
> what happens with gtk2.

I did several of those changes... nothing changed in the public API,
so it shouldn't have changed anything wrt the gtk2 patch situation.
Mostly the fixes were perf/correctness fixes driven by mozilla bug
reports.

> You ask if the posted patches for gtk2 2.10.6 are still applicable to
> 2.10.11. I don't know; I don't use gtk2. If you use gtk2, perhaps you
> could try to build gtk2 with and without the patches and report which
> works better.

The 1.6 release of cairo is planned for some time in July and is meant
to target the needs of the release schedules of firefox and gnome. Its
also going to be the first release where quartz/atsui are publicly
documented and not experimental (yay!).

We get a fair amount of feedback from mac firefox folk, but not nearly
enough from mac gnome users - if you file rendering bugs on
bugzilla.gnome.org, please feel free to add a cc to me
(brian.ewins at gmail.com).

Cheers,
Baz