zenity: what's taking so long?

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Tue Jun 12 21:37:17 PDT 2007

On 13/06/2007, at 13:00, paul beard wrote:

>>  docbook-xml, docbook-xsl, libxml2, libxslt, and their dependents
>> scrollkeeper and gnome-doc-utils
>
> would it make sense to set these as dependencies in the Portfile,
> assuming this works?

I'm not sure; it's a question of whether zenity genuinely depends
only on whatever gnome-doc-utils provides, however that may change,
or whether it also depends on specific versions of scrollkeeper,
docbook-xsl, or whatever.  If the latter is the case, there's not
much work in making the requisite changes, but if the former is the
case, we should keep the others out to keep the dependency listing
simple, and moreover accurate.

> And what's the mechanism for accessing the online entities? I
> realize this is outside the scope of MacPorts but it seems it could
> be more robust.

I don't know how xsltproc(1) and the like try to access URLs, but the
way the docbook-xml-* ports work is to install local copies, then add
entries to a local XML catalog that XML parsers read to handle the
remapping from the canonical online URL to the local copy, so that
(among other things) there's no need to access the online URLs and
things still work if the network is unavailable.  Until the recent
revision to the libxml2 port, it and any libxslt built against it
defaulted to looking for the XML catalog in /etc/xml/catalog rather
than ${prefix}/etc/xml/catalog, so setting XML_CATALOG_FILES was
necessary to override this.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--