Mixing MacPorts with regular installations?

Dirk van Oosterbosch, IR labs labs at ixopusada.com
Fri Jun 15 02:56:16 PDT 2007

Hi, noob here.

Yesterday I installed MacPorts, and this night I had my pBook crunch
out some pretty big installation (ffmpeg with a list of codecs). I
turned to MacPorts because I gave up on installing all the video/
audio codec libraries my hand.

I actually want to use PyMedia (which is based upon ffmpeg, and which
needs all the same codec libraries).
However, since my python lives in /url/local/bin/python and python's
package installer easy_install lives in /Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/easy_install they do not recognize
or find the codec libraries installed in /opt/local/bin

To install ffmpeg I installed this:
% sudo port install ffmpeg +lame +libogg +vorbis +xvid +x264 +a52
+faac +faad +dts
But
% sudo easy_install PyMedia
is still saying:
OGG          : not found
VORBIS       : not found
FAAD         : not found
MP3LAME      : not found
VORBISENC    : not found
ALSA         : not found

How can I mix libraries installed with MacPorts, with normal
installed packages?
Or how can I have python / easy_install recognize the libraries in /
opt/local/bin?

best
dirk

Dirk van Oosterbosch