installing vim with graphical mode

Elias Pipping pipping at math.fu-berlin.de
Fri Jun 15 05:43:45 PDT 2007

Hi,

I did that for multiple reasons.

First of all, I felt +aqua didn't qualify as a mere variant.
It's a hack that goes so far, that vim -aqua and vim +aqua
can be regarded as two different ports.

For instance, vim +aqua doesn't come with vimdiff, vimtutor,
etc.

Even more importantly the vim folder ${prefix}/share/vim/...
does not come with vim +aqua, instead that folder is located
at

   /Applications/MacPorts/Vim/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime

(iirc)

So, in comparison, if e.g. the +no_prefix or whatever it's
called now variant that gnu ports like findutils have, *only*
installed 'find' (and the like) instead of 'gfind and find',
it would make depending upon findutils very difficult,
because there'd never be a path one could be sure 'find' can
be found at given the port has been installed.
The same is true for vim +aqua / vim -aqua. There needs to be
a path the vim folder can be found at, always, no matter what
variants have been applied.

Furthermore, bumping vim is not a problem. The new patches
apply cleanly. However, with vim-app i.e. there's the macatsui
variant which consists of a patch that breaks pretty much with
every new patch. Bumping vim shouldn't be delayed for a variant
that's only a subvariant of +aqua.

Some people raised the concern that having to install both
vim and vim-app now, if one wants both a console vim and
a gvim (although technically, console vim *can* be accessed
via

   /Applications/MacPorts/Vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim

), one'd have to install the vim folder twice, which takes
up 20MB.

On the other hand, I have to say I no longer really care. I
still consider having split up vim into two ports a good
decision, however, if there's concensus, merging vim-app,
back in, go ahead - all the ports i maintain are openmaintainer.

Kind regards,

Elias