cyrus-sasl2 fails to install (surprising to me)

Landon Fuller landonf at macports.org
Sat Jun 16 01:15:12 PDT 2007

On Jun 15, 2007, at 10:27 PM, Tabitha McNerney wrote:

> Ryan,
>
> Thanks a ton. That was indeed the problem. However, I noticed that
> the cyrus-sasl2 Portfile which had problems building today is the
> same (when I diffed it) with the cyrus-sasl2 Portfile that has been
> around for quite some time (several months to almost one year?).
> The same Portfile builds just fine on an earlier version of
> MacPorts ( 1.4) and on both Intel and PowerPC architectures. I
> fixed the Portfile after your suggestion like this:

> #variant kerberos darwin {
> variant kerberos {
>         configure.args-append --enable-gssapi --with-gss_impl=mit
> }

> What I don't understand is, why would this problem in the Portfile
> manifest itself now v.s. 8 months ago for example?
>
> Thanks again Ryan for noticing what now seems to be obvious in that
> there should not be blank spaces in the names of variants.

This old syntax was correct -- if it was broken, it is a bug.

The "double variant" syntax is used to create a variant that will be
applied *instead of* two singular variants. That is, if both "darwin"
and "kerberos" are selected, then the "darwin kerberos" variant will
be used instead of individual darwin {} and kerberos {} variants.