cyrus-sasl2 fails to install (surprising to me)

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 03:59:12 PDT 2007

On 6/15/07, Landon Fuller <landonf at macports.org> wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2007, at 10:27 PM, Tabitha McNerney wrote:
>
> > Ryan,
> >
> > Thanks a ton. That was indeed the problem. However, I noticed that
> > the cyrus-sasl2 Portfile which had problems building today is the
> > same (when I diffed it) with the cyrus-sasl2 Portfile that has been
> > around for quite some time (several months to almost one year?).
> > The same Portfile builds just fine on an earlier version of
> > MacPorts ( 1.4) and on both Intel and PowerPC architectures. I
> > fixed the Portfile after your suggestion like this:

> > #variant kerberos darwin {
> > variant kerberos {
> >         configure.args-append --enable-gssapi --with-gss_impl=mit
> > }

> > What I don't understand is, why would this problem in the Portfile
> > manifest itself now v.s. 8 months ago for example?
> >
> > Thanks again Ryan for noticing what now seems to be obvious in that
> > there should not be blank spaces in the names of variants.
>
> This old syntax was correct -- if it was broken, it is a bug.
>
> The "double variant" syntax is used to create a variant that will be
> applied *instead of* two singular variants. That is, if both "darwin"
> and "kerberos" are selected, then the "darwin kerberos" variant will
> be used instead of individual darwin {} and kerberos {} variants.

Fascinating, thanks for chiming in. I wonder what would have changed in the
MacPorts system then, that would have caused to emerge as a "bug"? I've
built this port many times on both PowerPC and Intel machines with MacPorts
1.40 and less and never had a problem. It would be worthwhile to take a
closer look I think because there might be other ports with the "double
variant" syntax styles that might also follow a bug pattern. Are double
variants common? I haven't noticed others before but then again I don't
spend a lot of time humanly reading Portfiles.

Best wishes,

T.M.