Mysql5 macports vs .dmg binary

arthas32 at powerband.net.au arthas32 at powerband.net.au
Tue Jun 19 04:12:45 PDT 2007

Good Evening Folks,

I have recently taken it upon myself to install wordpress on my mac.
Wordpress is a blogging CMS (Content Management System).
http://wordpress.org/

Wordpress requires Mysql, PHP and the Apache webserver.

In the past i have used mac ports to install Apache2 and PHP5
but I had MySQL5 installed via the official binary .dmg file.

So after inspecting my PHP configuration I could see that PHP was not
talking to MySQL.

So I decided to shut down my MySQL server and re-install it via mac-ports.

After successfully installing mysql5 from mac-ports, I am unable to start
the new server up, Im I try this command:
-----
$ sudo /opt/local/share/mysql5/mysql/mysql.server start
------
I receive this nasty nessage:
------
Starting MySQL../opt/local/share/mysql5/mysql/mysql.server: line 151:
kill: (12707) - No such process
 ERROR!
------

After looking up line 151 of /opt/local/share/mysql5/mysql/mysql.server
I can see this:
------
kill -0 $2 || break # if the program goes away, stop waiting
------
my working theory is that my original MySQL installation is interfering
somehow. I have double checked that I have indeed shutdown the original
MySQL server, and is definately stopped and shut-down. I haven't
un-installed it though so It is essentially still there, only dormant.

Is there anything else I need to do to let mysql5 from mac-ports start-up?

Anyone thoughts, comments, theories, ideas, suggestions or feedback will
be greatlty appreciated.

Regards
Ben