Darcs checksum failing, even after clean

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jun 19 14:16:50 PDT 2007

On Jun 19, 2007, at 11:25, Simon Ruderich wrote:

> Bueno, Denis wrote:
>
>> Symptom: I can't get darcs to install; the checksum keeps failing.
>> Expected behavior: Darcs should install. =]
>
> Looks like the download file was changed. To fix this just go to this
> Portfile and update the md5 checksum.
>
> If your using a normal installation in /opt the portfile should be
> here:
>
> /opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/
> rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports/devel/darcs/Portfile

The command "port file darcs" would show you this path.
The command "port edit darcs" would open that portfile in your
favorite editor.
The command "cd `port dir darcs`" would take you to that directory.

> Open it with any editor and change the line checksums from this
>
> checksums       md5 077420eec437ecdd45d8dc6682ee61fa
>
> to this
>
> checksums       md5 07222cd3c500aa31e3332847573a4ab2
>
> And then retry the installation. This should fix this problem.

[snip]

In checksum mismatch situations, one must always investigate the
question of *why* the checksum has changed. The FAQ explains this in
great detail:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
FAQ#IgetError:checksummd5/sha1/rmd160mismatchforport.WhatcanIdoaboutit

No one has so far indicated that they have done this analysis, so I
will do it now. In this case, darcs-1.0.9.tar.gz appears to be
available from two equally official-looking places: http://
www.abridgegame.org/darcs/ and http://darcs.net/ . From the former
site (the first Google result for "darcs"), it is available with the
md5 sum 077420eec437ecdd45d8dc6682ee61fa (the one in the portfile),
and from the latter site (the one from which the portfile actually
downloads) it is available with the md5 sum
07222cd3c500aa31e3332847573a4ab2.

You can download the two archives, decompress them, and run a
recursive diff on them, and you will see that they have different
contents. The following files differ:

.depend
Context.hs
configure
darcs_print.ps
manual/darcs.html
manual/footnode.html
manual/images.log
manual/images.pl
manual/images.tex
manual/index.html
manual/internals.pl
manual/labels.pl
manual/node1.html
manual/node10.html
manual/node11.html
manual/node2.html
manual/node3.html
manual/node4.html
manual/node5.html
manual/node6.html
manual/node7.html
manual/node8.html
manual/node9.html

There are so many changes in these files that it is difficult to wade
through them. This situation should be brought to the attention of
the darcs developers, possibly by posting on their mailing list. Ask
them to make only a single archive available for a given version of
their software. Ask them which version we should currently be using.
Ideally, ask them to only have a single official-looking web site.
Ideally it would be the maintainer of the darcs port who does all this.