Problem with DB44 on Intel MacBook Pro

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 24 08:25:54 PDT 2007

On Jun 24, 2007, at 5:40 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Well.... if BerkeleyDB (db44) is now installed, then you should be
> able to install Subversion. If not, show us the last few lines of
> the error. (You snipped too much above for us to know what went
> wrong last time.)

Sorry - I lost that context already. I'm going to be setting up
another system soon - if it happens again, I'll capture all of it.

> It's also possible to skip BerkeleyDB entirely by building first
> apr-util and then subversion with the +no_bdb variant. I do this,
> and recommend it, unless you already know that you really need
> BerkeleyDB, but I suspect you don't.

Yes, I probably don't need it, but the port dependencies think I do.
The blog entry I mentioned ( http://blog.duncandavidson.com/2006/04/
sandboxing_rail.html ) is pretty widely referenced, so I expect a lot
of people have their first experience with macPorts trying to set up
a Ruby on Rails environment by following these instructions. So when
it blows up on db44, they don't know what to do.

> Also, you do not need to specify "+darwin_8"; that's automatically
> selected for you when you're running Mac OS X 10.4.x.

OK - maybe it was the +universal that did the trick? I'm not sure why
a "port clean" and then "port install db44 +universal" would fix it,
but it did.

I posted that on the site, so perhaps that will get people past this
particular hangup.

SR