Working with MacPorts on MacBook Pro (Intel) and rsync problems.

Frederick C. Lee fclee at dialup4less.com
Tue Jun 26 08:40:15 PDT 2007

My Environment: MacBook Pro (Intel).
                              OS X (Tiger) v10.4.10

Original intent: to install Ruby & ancillary files.

I have a few questions...

1) Do I need to inform MacPorts which version of code is requested
(intel vs PPC)?

Example:  I'm trying to install 'readline', that is required to
install Ruby.

Looking at the variants, I see two (2).  I believe I need the
'universal' variant.

[Users/Ric] > variants readline
readline has the variants:
         universal
         darwin

... do I have to explicitly request the 'universal'?  How?

So, to install Ruby, I need readline.  To install readline, I need to
rsync.

2) I tried to import/install 'readline' and failed:

[/Users/Ric]sudo port install readline-5
--->  Installing readline-5 5.0.005_0+darwin_8
--->  Activating readline-5 5.0.005_0+darwin_8
Error: Target com.apple.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/
lib/libhistory.5.0.dylib already exists and does not belong to a
registered port.  Unable to activate port readline-5.

3) I also need rsync to work:

[Users/Ric] > selfupdate
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync dports
tree: sync failed doing rsync

Looking at the rsync:
[/Users/Ric]rsync --version
rsync  version 2.6.9  protocol version 29
Copyright (C) 1996-2006 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks,
batchfiles,
               inplace, IPv6, 32-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

BTW: I'm not too sure if v2.6.9 is working correctly.  I have the
original v2.6.3(OS X) but get the same result.

It appears that I'm all tied up in knots.

Does anyone know a remedy?

Regards,

Ric.

Frederick C. Lee