[MySQL] Install difficulties : Can't connect to local MySQL server through

Chris Pickel sfiera at macports.org
Tue Jun 26 10:13:27 PDT 2007

On 26 Jun, 2007, at 11:42, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2007, at 10:19 AM, markd at macports.org wrote:
>> I don't think there is an argument against it; it is just that no
>> one has
>> done it yet.  It seems like a perfectly acceptable thing to do,
>> but it has
>> only been talked about and never done.
>
> I'm not particularly interested in mysql, but creating a potential -
> server portfile took less time than I've already spent on this thread.

I had been against it before, on the basis that the client and server
ports would install the same binaries--but of course that objection
was wrong, since there's no need to install them twice if one depends
on the other.

This looks like a good solution, although I'd suggest that the mysql5
port get a post-activate message to the effect of "if you want to run
a mysql5 server on this computer, install mysql5-server too"

Chris