[MySQL] Install difficulties : Can't connect to local MySQL server through

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 10:31:39 PDT 2007

On 6/26/07, Chris Pickel <sfiera at macports.org> wrote:

> This looks like a good solution, although I'd suggest that the mysql5
> port get a post-activate message to the effect of "if you want to run
> a mysql5 server on this computer, install mysql5-server too"

even simpler: the server port would just install the launchctl bits and
activate the server OR the option to switch between the server and client
could be activated post-install: to use the client libraries, nothing need
be done -- to enable the server, follow these steps.
If security is an issue, I have to ask what is the risk involved in having
the server binaries sitting on a disk, but not running and, if the OS level
security/operational mechanisms are effective, unable to run? In other
words, the server isn't likely to just start up by itself and expose the
host to some risk. If that is likely, turning off networking in my.cnf, only
allowing it to be toggled on by the user, would help with that.
--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at mac.com>