failed to build ports ocaml, xfig

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jun 28 16:54:59 PDT 2007

On Jun 27, 2007, at 06:33, Dimitri Hendriks wrote:

> I just installed Macports, version 1.442.
> The first port I want to install, fails to build.
> Here's the output:
>
> $ sudo port install coq
> --->  Fetching ocaml
> --->  Attempting to fetch ocaml-3.10.0.tar.bz2 from http://
> caml.inria.fr/pub/distrib/ocaml-3.10/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for ocaml
> --->  Extracting ocaml
> --->  Configuring ocaml
> --->  Building ocaml with target world.opt
> --->  Staging ocaml into destroot
> --->  Installing ocaml 3.10.0_0
> --->  Activating ocaml 3.10.0_0
> --->  Cleaning ocaml
> --->  Fetching coq
> Error: No defined site for tag: coq, using master_sites
> --->  Attempting to fetch coq-8.1.tar.gz from ftp://ftp.inria.fr/
> INRIA/coq/V8.1/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for coq
> --->  Extracting coq
> --->  Configuring coq
> --->  Building coq with target world
> Error: Target com.apple.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/
> local/var/db/dports/build/
> _Volumes_Users_opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports
> .org_dpupdate_dports_lang_coq/work/coq-8.1" && make world "
> returned error 2
> Command output: OCAMLC    config/coq_config.mli
> OCAMLOPT  config/coq_config.ml
> ECHO... > scripts/tolink.ml
> OCAMLOPT  scripts/tolink.ml
> OCAMLOPT  scripts/coqmktop.ml
> OCAMLOPT -o bin/coqmktop.opt
> cd bin; ln -sf coqmktop.opt coqmktop
> OCAMLC    lib/pp_control.mli
> OCAMLOPT  lib/pp_control.ml
> OCAMLC    lib/pp.mli
> OCAMLOPT4 lib/pp.ml4
> OCAMLOPT  lib/compat.ml4
> Camlp4: Uncaught exception: DynLoader.Error ("pa_ifdef.cmo", "file
> not found in path")
>
> Preprocessor error
> make: *** [lib/compat.cmx] Error 2

So this is a problem with coq, not ocaml. Since Emmanuel has provided
insight on why this is, I'll skip ahead to the next question:

> I also tried to install port xfig, but again without succes:
>
> $ sudo port install xfig
> Password:
> --->  Fetching Xaw3d
> --->  Attempting to fetch Xaw3d-1.5E.tar.gz from ftp://ftp.visi.com/
> users/hawkeyd/X/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for Xaw3d
> --->  Extracting Xaw3d
> --->  Configuring Xaw3d
> --->  Building Xaw3d with target all
> --->  Staging Xaw3d into destroot
> --->  Installing Xaw3d 1.5E_0
> --->  Activating Xaw3d 1.5E_0
> Error: Target com.apple.activate returned: Image error: /usr/X11R6/
> include/X11/Xaw3d/AllWidgets.h already exists and does not belong
> to a registered port.  Unable to activate port Xaw3d.
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: Xaw3d
> ghostscript jpeg libpng zlib transfig netpbm jasper tiff

This is a problem with Xaw3d, not xfig. I do not have /usr/X11R6/
include/X11/Xaw3d/AllWidgets.h on my system, but you apparently do.
Perhaps you had MacPorts installed before, had Xaw3d installed with
it before, you removed MacPorts, and then reinstalled MacPorts, and
now it's finding bits that were left behind? Or perhaps you had Xaw3d
installed before without MacPorts which it's now colliding with?
Either way, you could probably safely force the install of Xaw3d to
get it to overwrite any files it finds:

sudo port -nf install Xaw3d