Request to users: can you help me test a proposed workaround for rb-rubygems?

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Fri Jun 29 02:36:13 PDT 2007

Hi users of rb-rubygems and users willing to help me test a workaround,

I apologise for spreading this over all of macports-users, but there
have been so many separate reports about the problem described below
that it was easier on me to ping everyone.  Look away now if you're
not interested :)

There have been several reports from users of problems with trying to
install remote gems after installing the rb-rubygems ports.  I was
able to recreate the problem with a fresh install, and though I don't
yet have a solution, I think that I may have found a workaround, and
I'd like to ask users to see if it works for them.

The putative workaround is simply to forcibly upgrade the rb-rubygems
port after a fresh installation by using "port -ufn upgrade rb-
rubygems".  If you would like to help me test this, please try it out
and let me know how you go.  In particular, I am after people who are
in one of two boats:

(1) Users who have a previous or current version of rb-rubygems
installed (the current version is 0.9.4) for whom installing remote
gems does not work and who have not done any hacks to make it work
(or can undo them and make it fail again) -- I'd like to know if a
forced upgrade to 0.9.4 fixes things; and

(2) Users who have not installed rb-rubygems at any point, but are
willing to try installing it, then try installing a remote gem (both
through MacPorts e.g. "port install rb-bluecloth") and directly via
gem e.g. "gem install RedCloth), and then, if it doesn't work, force-
upgrading rb-rubygems and trying the above again.  If you want to get
rid of the traces of rubygems after trying this out, uninstall any
gems you have installed (the normal port way for those installed by
port, and by "gem uninstall <portname>" for those installed via gem),
and then uninstall the rb-rubygems port.

Thank you for your attention, and I hope you can help me test this
workaround.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--