More (newbie) Macports issues

Eric Hall opendarwin.org at darkart.com
Thu Mar 1 13:54:58 PST 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 06:55:10PM -0800, Mark Duling wrote:
> Garrett Reid <garrett.reid at gmail.com> on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at
> 11:10 AM -0800 wrote:
> >I have a fairly fresh macports install, but a few parts seem broken.
> >Any help would be much appreciated.
> >
> >tcptraceroute doesn't work.
> >On a tcptraceroute google.com, I get:
> >libnet_write failed?  Attempted to write 40 bytes, only wrote -1
>
> I saw this too.  There was a patch to libnet11's configure.in committed
> some time ago that was supposed to fix this.
>
> But it looks like autoconf is not run so it doesn't take effect.  I
> inserted:
>
> use_autoconf    yes
>
> into the libnet11 portfile and uninstalled, cleaned, reinstalled and now
> tcptraceroute works on my MacBook.  If someone can confirm this the fix
> could be committed.  I know Toby won't mind someone else committing the
> change, because I've emailed him in the past for this port.  But I'm
> leaving town tonight and I don't want to make any changes now for safety's
> sake.  But try it and someone else could commit it.

	Testing...
	libnet11 with 'use_autoconf', tcptraceroute works fine.
	Hmm, lets see if it works w/o 'use_autoconf'...
	works fine w/o 'use_autoconf' as  well.
	Ah, I'm on ppc.  Lets try x86...

	Without 'use_autoconf' in libnet11...    tcptraceroute fails.
	Trying with 'use_autoconf in libnet11... tcptraceroute works.

	I'll go ahead and commit the fix in a minute.

[snip]

> Perhaps we need to make libnet11 and libnet compatible like the FreeBSD
> and OpenBSD projects have done.
>
> Mark

	I agree, having both libnet11 and libnet co-exist would be great.

		-eric