Trac Roadmap milestones

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Tue Mar 13 10:10:57 PDT 2007

	Evening everyone! Recently I started using Trac's Roadmap facility
(thanks to Kevin's push!) and created two initial milestones, one for
our upcoming 1.4 release and one for 1.5. Any problems you might
encounter with the 1.4 rc I posted last week should be filed in tickets
assigned to the corresponding milestone (base component). The 1.5
milestone will probably hold tickets detailing project goals that might
coincide with our SoC2007 application, if we get elected, of course
(but, in any case, all of that is still a bit up in the air, nothing
written on stone just yet).

	Just now I also created two trial milestones that are open for testing
and improvements. One is for new port submissions:

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/milestone/New%20Ports

	Needless to say, tickets requesting the inclusion of a particular
port(s) into our tree, whether the ticket is just a petition or a
proposal full with an attached Portfile, should be assigned to that
milestone.

	The other milestone is for bug reports and/or enhancement requests
against ports we already carry:

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/milestone/Available%20Ports

	Any ticket filed against a port already in our tree should be put
there, again whether the ticket is just a petition or a proposal
including a patch.

	Please feel free to suggest improvements to these two last milestones,
including their names and descriptions, at the moment they're just bare
bones (born only 5 minutes ago).

	Also, feel free to suggest new milestones that could help refine trac
& ticket queries. I'm guessing a balance is in order, a good number of
milestones to fine grain our roadmap, but not too many as to make it
easy to get lost in it.

	Once we have things pinned down somewhat, I'll encourage *all* of us
with trac access ('cause no one single person can accomplish such an
undertaking) to start moving existing tickets into their corresponding
milestones.

	Lastly, please refrain from assigning port specific tickets to
MacPorts release milestones, base sources and the ports tree are two
different things and from an organizational point of view tickets for
each are best kept separate, thank you!

	Regards to all and thank you in advance for your feedback!

-jmpp