Gnuplot cannot set terminal x11

David MacMahon davidm at astro.berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 14 09:31:34 PDT 2007

On Mar 14, 2007, at 9:16 , Michael Williams wrote:
> my installation of gnuplot on one machine ("macbook") is unable to
> use the X11
> terminal. However, what seems to be the same version of the port
> can use
> it perfectly well on another machine ("ibook"). Neither
> installation is
> of the no_x11 variant.

My guess is that the problem machine does not have the X11 headers/
libraries installed.  You could test this theory by looking at the
config.log files generated on the two machines.  Do a "port uninstall
gnuplot && port configure gnuplot", then "cd `port dir gnuplot`" will
get you a few directory levels above where config.log should be.
Don't forget to finish the reinstallation with a "port install
gnuplot" after you've looked at the config.log files! :-)

Dave