Gnuplot cannot set terminal x11

Michael Williams williams at astro.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 14 09:16:02 PDT 2007

Hi,

my installation of gnuplot on one machine ("macbook") is unable to use the X11
terminal. However, what seems to be the same version of the port can use
it perfectly well on another machine ("ibook"). Neither installation is
of the no_x11 variant.

    macbook:~$ port installed gnuplot
      gnuplot @4.0.0_3+darwin_8 (active)

    macbook:~$ gnuplot

    [snip welcome message]

    Terminal type set to 'unknown'
    gnuplot> set terminal x11
                          ^
             unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a list

However, on the working machine:

    ibook:~$ port installed gnuplot
      gnuplot @4.0.0_3+darwin_8 (active)

    ibook:~$ gnuplot

    [snip welcome message]

    Terminal type set to 'aqua'
    gnuplot> set terminal x11
    Terminal type set to 'x11'
    Options are '0'
    gnuplot> plot sin(x)

    [plots!]

I've done a "port selfupdate && port uninstall gnuplot && port clean
gnuplot && port install gnuplot" on the macbook with no effect. Does
anyone know what's going on here? I see two possible leads:

 - the ibook installation is setting it's terminal to 'aqua' on its own
   (no .gnuplot file!), so could it really be a different version?

 - the macbook installation is a tree copied from a backup after I had
   to wipe the disk. I copied the tree back across before reinstalling
   X11 (it is now installed!). Could this order of events be the cause
   of the problem?

-- Mike