problems w/ gettext (irssi)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Mar 16 20:01:52 PDT 2007

On Mar 16, 2007, at 18:04, Brian Haag wrote:

> I'm trying to install irssi, which has gettext as a dep.  I'm getting:
[snip]
> if test "emacs" != no; then \
>   set x; \
>   list='start-po.el po-mode.el po-compat.el'; for p in $list; do \
>     if test -f "$p"; then d=; else d="./"; fi; \
>     set x "$@" "$d$p"; shift; \
>   done; \
>   shift; \
>   EMACS="emacs" /bin/sh ../../build-aux/elisp-comp "$@" || exit 1; \
> else : ; fi
> ../../build-aux/elisp-comp: line 78:  3298 Bus error
> $EMACS -batch -q -l script -f batch-byte-compile *.el
> make[3]: *** [elc-stamp] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gettext glib2
> pkgconfig openssl zlib
> mini:/usr/local/irssi brian$

Um... very weird! Apparently your emacs is crashing. Do you have an
emacs port installed or is it using the system's emacs? gettext
compiled just fine for me with the system's emacs. If you type "which
emacs" what does it say? Mine says "/usr/bin/emacs". Can you run your
emacs or does it also crash?

> There were other deps that built fine previous to this one.  I even
> went and got the source for gettext (non darwin/mac ports) and
> installed it, but it's not in the right place I guess.  I'm pretty
> new with this stuff, and I'm not really sure where to go from
> here.  Any help greatly appreciated.

MacPorts does not look for libraries anywhere else. With few
exceptions, it only looks at libraries that were installed using
MacPorts.