gFTP runtime error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Mar 16 20:08:37 PDT 2007

Hi Daniel.

On Mar 16, 2007, at 15:27, Daniel B. Koch wrote:

> Installed gFTP from here:
>
>    http://gftp.darwinports.com/

The domain name darwinports.com is not owned by the DarwinPorts (now
called MacPorts) project so I recommend you do not refer to anything
on that domain. The MacPorts project web site is www.macports.org
(formerly www.darwinports.org).

When you say you installed gFTP from there, I assume it means you
installed MacPorts, set up your terminal, and typed "sudo port
install gftp". If not, do that.

> I note there is a patch file available:
>
>    patch-pty.c.diff
>
> but am not sure how to apply it within the port environment, or if
> this will solve the problem. I'm running Darwin 8.9.1 on an Intel
> MacBook Pro.

MacPorts automatically applies the patchfile for you at the correct
time. You don't need to do anything.

> When I try to connect I get the following error:
>
>    Cannot open master pty : No such file or directory

As far as the actual error, I don't know how to help, because I don't
use gFTP. I would recommend that you ensure your OS and Xcode are up
to date, by using Software Update and checking the Apple Developer
Connection web site, respectively. Usually I would also recommend you
contact the port maintainer, but the gftp port is not maintained. You
could try installing the port with debugging and verbose messages
turned on ("sudo port install -dv gftp") and see if the additional
output gives you any further clues about what's wrong. If no one here
can help, you may need to ask the developers of gFTP for assistance.